These entries chronicle a choreographic research process that began in 2011 and eventually led the creation and performance of Midway Avenue in 2014. The process includes visits to London to interact with colleagues Wendy Houston, Matteo Fargion and Rahel VonMoos as well as rehearsal in Philadelphia with a cast of dancers. The early research project and eventual production were funded by the Pew Center for Arts and Heritage. Enjoy!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Packing for London


I’m headed to London in a few days to start working with Wendy Houstoun. I’ll be there for 2 weeks working with Wendy and some of her colleagues in the UK.



How did we get here?
My relationship with Wendy began with a phone call. Well actually it began when I saw her work a few years ago (at the Dance Umbrella festival in London) and I loved it! I proposed a mentorship via email which led to several phone conversations, discussion about her work, my work, what I might learn from her and how we might work together… and then a grant application and some planning…


All that is to say we have not yet met in person. But we are about to embark on a very personal journey. A focused creative process designed to guide me deeper into the places I’m already headed as well as give me the tools to brave new territory. She will be a sounding board and a guide as I explore and build new work.


So, here I am, packing my bags to fly to London. I’ll be staying in a little apartment on my own while I’m there. I’m looking forward to the time outside of my familiar rhythm, a step away from the hectic nature of my daily life in Philadelphia (which happily includes my 6 year old son, my husband and my dance company). For all the working parents out there, you know how full a day can be. So I am grateful for the gift of this focused trip.

Next post comes from across the pond!

-NC

No comments:

Post a Comment